Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Day Three - No More Excuses


Okay so again this morning, I turned the alarm off and went back to sleep. Even worse, I forgot to take the medicine I usually take at 5AM and I didn't remember that until after 9. I actually woke again about 6:45 and probably could have gone to the gym then but I have it in my head I need to go at 5AM. I don't know why that is. The first time I lost the weight, I was up at 5 and at the gym by 5:30 every morning. 

Today I have no excuse. I went to sleep pretty easily, didn't get up for the bathroom during the night and could have gotten up, gotten dressed and gotten to the gym but I didn't. I need to move the alarm away from the bedside to make it annoying enough that I wake up and get up to turn it off. Unfortunately, I can't rely on my husband to get me up because he doesn't hear the alarm. But this isn't about him, it's about me and my making excuses to not exercise. I am done with that. NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

Exercise is so important in supporting a healthy lifestyle. I have never regretted time I spent exercising but often regret not doing it. I know if I exercise, my energy level will improve, stress will be reduced, my weight loss will be accelerated, my muscles and bones will be stronger, my heart will be stronger and my sleep will be deeper and more restorative.

These are just a few of the myriad of health benefits I will enjoy if I exercise. I know all of this and still I make excuses. Why? Because I'm human. And you are human. And humans make excuses and do things that may not serve their highest good.

I remember one week during my prior weight loss journey, I walked more than 90 miles and I slept like a baby every night of that week. I did that while working full time. I got up each morning and did 5-6 miles and then did the same thing in the evening. On the weekend I took very long walks both days. I was training at the time for a three day 60 mile walk.

You might say, "why don't you just do it?" I don't know the answer to that. But I am committing to getting up tomorrow morning and going, regardless of the amount of sleep I get or don't get, how much water I drink tonight or any other impediment, real or imagined I might put in my path. Tomorrow is a holiday and I have nothing else scheduled except a small barbecue, so I can come home from the gym and nap if I need to.

What excuses do you use to keep you from reaching your goals? Do you not do something out of fear or dread? Often the fear we feel is exaggerated and the dread is something we build up to be something much worse than the reality of the situation.

Are you a procrastinator like me? I have great intentions and then I put off the important for the unimportant. So when it gets to crunch time, I am rushing and shortcutting to get done whatever I should have done much earlier. I once read that procrastination is a form of stress relief. To me, it's a stress inducer. Ignoring what has to be done doesn't make it go away, it just makes it that much more stressful when you have to get it done under the gun.

If you are in this with me, why don't we make a pledge to each other to just do it (thanks Nike)? Let me know in the comments what you are going to stop making excuses about. I look forward to following this path with you. 

In case you missed my post on June 30th, I am using this 31 day challenge to hold myself accountable for walking my talk. Several years ago, I was able to take off 135 pounds and essentially save my own life. I have regained much of that weight so I am working my way back down. 

If you choose to join me on this journey, I hope I am able to impart some nutritional and lifestyle wisdom. Even though I may have gone off the rails temporarily I can still share some of my first hand experience as well as my acquired knowledge and training to help you make the right changes for your best life.

As a health coach, I work with women to find their power to overcome health challenges and live a fuller, happier, more energetic life. If you would like to have a free consultation about the health challenges you have and the improvements you would like to see in your health, click here to schedule a no strings attached call.
































8 comments:

  1. I had a Goal to walk 30 minutes in the morning and another 30 at lunch then 30 before Dinner time to help me lose the weight I need to lose. While my son was out of school so he could go with me if I needed help. But I have let everything in the world get in the way and it's time to get up and move. Because this weight I need to lose isn't going anywhere and its affecting my health. I feel tired all the time and I can see slipping back into the Depression I suffer from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda...please feel free to make an appointment for a complimentary consultation with the link in my blog if you would like to chat. I may be able to help you out.

      Delete
  2. This time of year throws me off too Karen because schedules are so different with family members. Summer is also a more relaxing, looser time, but those activity routines are so key to maintaining weight. I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I lose 10 lbs. I would feel alot better. I'm not an overly big eater. And I do go to an exercise class 3 times/week and walk the dog daily. My partner says it's my snacking that does me in. I'm going to work on that. I decided that instead of skipping breakfast once a week, I would have an egg without toast for breakfast. And I will see how I do at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily...it may take more than one breakfast a week to change your weight. I would look closely at the snacking, especially if it's done late at night and with food that doesn't serve you.

      Delete
  4. For me, it's normally fear or procrastination that keeps me from getting things done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the fear is bigger than the reality. I know it's a tired adage but "feel the fear and do it anyway". Thanks for reading.

      Delete