Thursday, July 4, 2019

Day 4 - Commitment

Well, I did it. I got up this morning, went to the gym and worked out for a little over an hour. As I expected, once I was done I was very happy with myself. I of course wondered why I don't just do that every morning. I was tired when the alarm went off at 5 so I stayed in bed but wasn't able to get back to sleep. I knew if I stayed there and didn't get up and go to the gym, I would feel bad about it but also, I would have to admit it here. You wouldn't know one way or the other if I had gone but I want to be transparent and honest as I travel this path so I would have had to come clean. This leads me to a question...why are we more inclined to honor the commitments we make to others than those we make to ourselves? I told you yesterday that I was going to the gym this morning, no excuses and so I did. Why didn't I do that Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday? I told myself the night before each of those days that I would get up with the alarm and go work out but I rolled over and went back to sleep.

I don't know why my commitments to others make me more likely to keep them than those I make to myself. Now don't get me wrong, there are many times I have honored a commitment to myself and let nothing get in the way. 

For instance, for years I have been not only a vegetarian but I have been dairy free and gluten free and don't eat processed sugar. I am unapologetic about it because the evidence about the foods I have chosen to remove from my diet and their connection to cancer growth is very compelling to me. I don't begrudge anyone their food selections but I also won't allow anyone to make me feel badly about the choices I make. When I eat out, I often ask for amendments to the menu items that support my choices. Usually, restaurants are very willing to accommodate dietary restrictions if it's within their ability to do so.

When I decided to go to school to become a health coach, I was laser focused on that goal, again a commitment I made to me. I was so passionate about working with people to become the healthiest version of themselves that I let nothing get in the way. My goal now is to regain that laser focus on my own health and well-being. I won't let life events, and there are so many, derail my efforts to regain the strength, fitness and healthy weight I enjoyed for several years after my cancer diagnosis. Again, I am pledging this to you, reader, because it makes it more likely that I will maintain my focus.

What prevents you from keeping commitments to yourself? Are you, like me, more likely to honor the commitments you make to others than those you make to yourself? Are you ready to change that dynamic? I am. Tell me in the comments.

In case you missed my post on June 30th, I am using this 31 day challenge to hold myself accountable for walking my talk. Several years ago, I was able to take off 135 pounds and essentially save my own life. I have regained much of that weight so I am working my way back down.

If you choose to join me on this journey, I hope I am able to impart some nutritional and lifestyle wisdom. Even though I may have gone off the rails temporarily I can still share some of my first hand experience as well as my acquired knowledge and training to help you make the right changes for your best life.

As a health coach, I work with women to find their power to overcome health challenges and live a fuller, happier, more energetic life. If you would like to have a free consultation about the health challenges you have and the improvements you would like to see in your health, click here to schedule a no strings attached call.

No comments:

Post a Comment