Thursday, July 11, 2019

Day Eleven - R&R...Where Do You Get Yours?

Everyone needs downtime, even me. I have the best life in the world. I get to do what I love and get paid for it. I can do it when I want and where I want. I can work as much or as little as I choose. It really doesn't get better than that. But I still need to stop, regroup, recharge and breathe. 

I will often over-schedule myself so that I am running from one meeting to the next. I commit to things that are more work than I anticipated and I'm a terrible procrastinator. Most of my stress is self-imposed, either because I over scheduled or put things off or didn't say no when I should have. So when this happens for a few days in a row, I stop and take a break. 
This is my sanctuary and my office in nice weather
Taking a break may consist of napping in the hammock under the crab apple tree or sitting on the patio having a beverage. Right now I'm writing this post on my front porch, listening to the rain. 

This is the view from my front porch in the rain
Sometimes a break could be just a break from a stressful environment. You could still be working but doing it someplace peaceful and quiet. Or it could be disconnecting from electronics like email and social media. Or it could be a full on vacation. It can be whatever makes you feel relaxed and renewed. 

There are several ways you can unplug for a few minutes without losing work time. Sit back from your work and take a few deep, slow breaths until you can feel yourself relaxing. Get up and stretch your muscles. If you are drinking half your body weight in ounces of water (as I recommended in this earlier blog post), you will likely have to get up frequently to use the rest room. Take that opportunity to move your body and stretch your muscles.

You will find that if you give yourself breaks throughout the day, you will likely be more productive and less stressed. Your energy level will remain higher and your output will be of a higher quality. It will be good for your body and soul.

And by the way...I went to the gym last night and discovered that I am able to work out at a higher level at the end of the day than at the beginning. It think it may be because I ate throughout the day and was not exercising at the end of a long fast. Remember, I'm practicing intermittent fasting (as I talked about in this earlier blog post). I'm going again tonight to see if it was a fluke, but I don't think it was.

In case you missed my post on June 30th, I am using this 31 day challenge to hold myself accountable for walking my talk. Several years ago, I was able to take off 135 pounds and essentially save my own life. I have regained much of that weight so I am working my way back down. 

If you choose to join me on this journey, I hope I am able to impart some nutritional and lifestyle wisdom. Even though I may have gone off the rails temporarily I can still share some of my first hand experience as well as my acquired knowledge and training to help you make the right changes for your best life.

As a health coach, I work with women to find their power to overcome health challenges and live a fuller, happier, more energetic life. If you would like to have a free consultation about the health challenges you have and the improvements you would like to see in your health, click here to schedule a no strings attached call.

No comments:

Post a Comment