Friday, October 18, 2019

Reflections Over The Past Year

Today is my birthday. I'm not saying that to get good wishes, although I would never turn them down. It's really to explain why I'm reflecting on the past year in the middle of October. 

It's been a busy year for sure. I've been a health and nutrition coach for several years as a side hustle but this year I decided to ramp it up and be all in. What fun this is! I love what I do and love seeing my clients' success.

In addition to coaching, I have been taking my WomenHeart presentation to the community, educating women about heart disease.

I am the Finance team lead and Senior Warden on my church vestry.

I committed to myself to return to a healthy weight and exercise at least 30 minutes daily...no excuses.

I was hoping to earn my Competent Communicator award at Toastmasters by today but I still have one more speech to do which will happen by the end of October. I also wanted to earn my Competent Leader award by today but that is not completely within my control.

I started blogging regularly in January, at first daily in the first month of each quarter and since July 1st, I've been doing it daily.  

So why am I telling you all this? I'm sure you don't care about what I've been up to in all its gory detail. I'm sharing this to encourage you to commit to yourself and to honor that commitment, what ever that may be.
  • Commit to self-care. Eat right, exercise daily, meditate, get adequate sleep, take breaks from your job and your life to have some time for yourself. 
  • Commit to completing something you have been procrastinating on. Do you want to take a class? write a book? clean out your closets? Start with baby steps every day and in a year you will be 365 steps closer to completion.
  • Commit to a cause. Find something you are passionate about and give your time, talent and treasure. It's good for the soul.
  • Commit to self improvement. Promise yourself to read ten pages a day of a book that teaches you something. At the end of a year you will have read twelve 300 page books. 
  • Commit to stepping outside your comfort zone. Do something you never thought you would do. I never thought I would be able to do public speaking and now you can't shut me up. Go skydiving, take ballroom dance lessons, learn a new language. Stretch yourself and see how far you can move outside your bubble.
Take stock of your year and see if you should be farther along in your life than you are now. We have two full months left in this decade to move that needle. Make a commitment to yourself and stick with it. You won't regret it and even if you aren't able to complete the goal, you will be farther along than if you never started.

As a health coach, I work with women who are facing serious health challenges like heart disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes or who have been diagnosed as having a precursor to a serious health issue such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high blood sugar. I help them make food and lifestyle changes so they can get healthy, live longer and enjoy a fuller, happier, more energetic life. If you would like to have a free consultation about the health challenges you have and the improvements you would like to see in your health, click here to schedule a no strings attached call.

3 comments: