Monday, September 16, 2019

What Others Think Of Us Is None Of Our Business

Why do people think they have the right to judge others? I see all sorts of criticism of high profile people on what they wear, how they look, the size of their bodies and many other meaningless criteria. Why, when someone is in the public eye, are they targeted with such animosity? Is it jealousy, contempt or something else?

I see it among people who are not famous too. What is it about some humans that when they see someone doing something they might not have the confidence or the ability to do, they feel a need to tear them down? That, I believe, is the aforementioned jealousy rearing its ugly head. So when we are the subject of such unwanted and unwarranted scrutiny, why are we so negatively impacted by it? I love this quote:

A lot of cheap seats in the arena are filled with people who never venture onto the floor. They just hurl mean-spirited criticisms and put-downs from a safe distance. The problem is, when we stop caring what people think and stop feeling hurt by cruelty, we lose our ability to connect. But when we're defined by what people think, we lose the courage to be vulnerable. Therefore, we need to be selective about the feedback we let into our lives. For me, if you're not in the arena also getting your ass kicked, I'm not interested in your feedback". - Brené Brown

If you're out there trying to change the status quo and make a difference in the world, no one gets to opine on your actions from the cheap seats. This rule is the same for well meaning loved ones as well as those who don't necessarily have your best interest at heart. Even if the changes are for you alone, unless someone is walking that journey with you, they don't get a vote. 

I have found several times in my life that someone would tell me not to lose too much weight (that has never been my problem) or not to go all in on something I wanted to try. I was told not to go into Accounting when I was first going to college by someone who supposedly had my best interest at heart. So I went to college for one semester studied Psychology and English and dropped out for several years until I decided to return to years later to study...Accounting. At the time, it was what I wanted to do and of course I didn't listen to my own inner voice, but rather the one of someone I thought I admired. I wasted many years and fell about seven years behind my peers in the career path I followed. Fortunately I was able to catch up and had a very good career that took care of my family and me quite nicely. Everything worked out in the end but to bottom line is I allowed someone else's choice for me override what I knew to be my best option at the time.

Don't let the opinion of others dull your sparkle. If you have something to contribute to the world, put on blinders and put in earplugs. Don't let the occupants of the cheap seats tell you how to proceed through your life.  They aren't the ones who have to live with the results of your decisions. 

ICYMI There is one seat left...How about a sugar detox? I don't have a fancy name for this program but I can tell you a little about it. We'll begin on September 18th and end October 16th using Zoom.

If you want to get your energy back, lose a few pounds and generally feel better, this is the place for you. I'll share some of the strategies I used to eliminate sugar from my life and to get back on track in my own weight loss journey.

Won't it be nice to eliminate cravings, not feel that "hangry" feeling when your blood sugar drops, and to be able to control what you're eating? 

The five week program is only $49! For the price of less than one lunch per week, you can kick sugar to the curb. This is the only time the program will be offered at this low price because it's the first time I'm doing it, but I've used it for myself and it worked on me.  

Click here to schedule a quick chat with me so we can decide if this is a good program for you. You'll be glad you did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment